How To Start A Blog
A Free Guide for Beginners
Wondering how to start a blog? You’ve come to the right place!
My name is Arlie Wall and I am a web developer based in Los Angeles, California. Some of my associates who are aware of my qualifications have convinced me that there are many aspiring writers who could benefit from a little advice. Having learned the hard way myself, I will say that I wish there had been a website just like this when I got started.
Read on. By the end of this page, you will have a good working knowledge of how to set up an effective blog with all kinds of benefits, including some monetary ones. Ready to start the free step-by-step tutorial? Click here to go to step 1.
In days of old, starting a blog website was expensive and time consuming. Then came WordPress in 2003. Originally established primarily as a way to set up a blog, It has evolved into a complete website builder. It was then and remains today an open-source (yes, free) platform available to anyone.
WordPress currently has over 60 million websites, and is the tool of choice for over 23% of the top 10 million sites on the Web. Websites such as Yahoo, eBay, Sony, Samsung, The New York Times, and Mozilla all use WordPress!
The beauty of WordPress is that as a content management system (CMS) you can easily go into the admin (or guts) and make changes to the number of pages and content. You can add images; install plugins and widgets (fun website builder toys); and much more. If you like, you can upgrade from the free templates and for a few bucks, create something unique that you can modify anytime.
WordPress also comes with free search engine optimization (SEO) tools and you will get immediate notifications of any impending security intrusions. if you ever need help, you can just come here for the answers.
Reasons for Starting a Blog
Blogging originally began as a means for people to write about personal events in their lives and things that were on their minds. While this remains a popular reason for maintaining a blog, the entire field has grown in sophistication and become more mature over time. Today, besides essentially writing diary entries, people blog in order to:
- Drive customers to their businesses: Many companies start blogs related to their products so that they can attract buyers who browse to their sites. There’s no need to directly promote specific services or goods within your posts; as long as you keep your content fresh and interesting, you’ll find people clicking to your e-commerce storefront as a matter of course.
- Establish themselves as authorities: Anyone looking for recognition as an expert will discover that a blog is a fine way of achieving this goal. Frequently updated posts, including opinion pieces, will serve to increase the respect readers have for you. By interacting through comments, guest blogging and comparing notes with other bloggers, you can get to know the influencers in your field and network effectively with them.
- Generate income: Even if you don’t offer anything for sale, you can still derive a stream of income from your blog. Affiliate relationships and advertising both have a role to play, and you have great flexibility when balancing between these two forms of monetization.
Avoid Mistakes With My Help
There’s no reason for you to reinvent the wheel when starting your own blog. I’ve been around the block a time or two, and I’ll put my knowledge and experience at your disposal. This will allow you to get off on the right foot and spare yourself the aggravation of making simple errors and then having to backtrack later on to correct them.
Some of the topics that I’ll inform you about are:
- Choosing a Hosting Provider: Your choice of web host will have a continuing impact on the reliability and loading speed of your new blog. Through my exclusive deal with InMotion Hosting, you can get set up with one of the best internet hosts around, and you’ll even get a substantial discount off the regular sticker price. (For more info read our InMotion Hosting Review)
- Installing and Customizing WordPress: Because it’s one of the most popular blogging platforms around, WordPress has grown from its humble beginnings and now contains a wealth of features and settings. I’ll show you how to set up the software for the best possible results depending on the character and purpose of your blog.
- Promoting and Enhancing Your Blog’s Success: There are any number of ways of making your web pages more accessible to potential viewers and to search engines like Google. While there are dedicated firms that specialize in these areas, engaging one of them may be too expensive if you’re just starting out. I’ll give you a few easy tips that you can implement on your own at no cost to yourself.
What About Blogger or Tumblr?
Although these and other clones claim to offer "free" websites with zero upfront costs, in the long run, they could be your most expensive options. Much of the value of a successful website is in the ownership of the domain name. Mine is www.HowToStartABlog101.com. It is developing into a rather valuable property. For that, I pay $10 per year; a very good investment.
Had I started out on Blogger for instance, my domain would have been: www.HowToStartABlog101.blogger.com. Not only is it more complicated, but I would also have no rights of ownership, since it would only be a subdomain of Blogger. Whatever happens to them happens to me.
Beyond that, Blogger can control your content. If they decide for some reason your copy does not match their criteria, they can shut down your website immediately. You are far better off obtaining your own unique domain – free with InMotion Hosting and building it into a property you own and can later sell, if you like.
Have Purpose and Passion
The most effective bloggers are those who are passionate about a specific topic. They know their subject matter well and more than anything else, they want to talk about it. If you cannot fully embrace your topic and don't welcome those who will criticize your position, blogging may not be for you.
Many blogs operate for the dual purpose of allowing the developer to write about her or his most heartfelt interest and to simultaneously promote a product or service. There is nothing wrong with selling! Think about why you bought your last phone, car, or bar of soap, and chances are it is because of effective marketing. Somebody was selling and you bought.
When I was younger, I worked in car sales at a dealership. That job lasted two weeks. Why did I leave? Because I had no conviction that the brand offered the buyer a good value compared to available alternatives. I am unabashedly recommending InMotion Hosting for both your domain registration and hosting because I am convinced it offers you a great product at a great price.
Get Your Blog Started Now!
Click the button below for our free easy step-by-step guide.